Thursday, May 18, 2006

Some pesky illness has been sneaking up on me. Between headaches, fatigue, a sore throat, and a huge thirst, the symptoms are more annoying than debilitating. I've haven't been able to do lessons for the past two days though. When I woke up today I felt better, but very tired. Then came this morning:

6:30 - Get husband off

7:30 - Girls are awake and raring to go. Feed them breakfast.

8:00 - Get girls cleaned up. Explain that Mommy has to go back to bed. Lay down. Pass out without even taking any medicine.

8:15 - 11:00 - Sleep, interrupted by huge thirst, girls jumping on bed and talking to me, and girls knocking over piles of school books. Keep going back to sleep and dreaming of children I don't have to feed.

11:00 - Awake to Brighteye's terrier barking madly from the corner of my bed. Go up front to see if it's the mail. Nobody there. Can't figure the dog's problem out. Try to get back to sleep. Dog keeps on barking.

11:30 - Figure out the dog's problem. I've been cleaning up the bedroom. Now he can stand on the corner of the bed, see his reflection in the mirror, and bark at it. Decide cleanliness is overrated.

11:35 - Drink a cola so I can find the energy to open a can of soup. Check the mail. Find Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics: Teachers' Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics in China and the United States -- a slim but very dense 150 pages. Also find Benjamin Bloom's Developing Talent in Young People -- all 572 pages of it, and it's a paperback. I don't know if it has any good quotes, but as heavy as it is I could always use it as a club. Decide I'm not up to any light reading this afternoon.

I'm happy to say the girls did a very impressive job of helping Mommy wash dishes and letting Mommy rest for a 5 year old and a 6 year old. I'm very pleased with how they are starting to do things without me standing over their shoulders.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

No comments: