Sunday, December 04, 2005

The annual Holiday visit to see Mom just came and went. We had to be in Jackson yesterday to check out the Chimneyville Crafts Festival. Mom was on her way back from a senior trip. We got to her house Friday evening and cooked supper. She got in Friday night and ate it. The next morning she left to pick up her dog for the vet and we left to see Jackson. No one said anything impolitic. I didn't yell, scream or demand to be let off the position of counterweight on her seesaw relationship with my sister. I went down there with the intention of snatching my pictures off the wall and taking them home. I left them. Mom pulled out a box of my old keepsakes that I thought had been lost years ago and pressed it on me. I only took home one. Why did I do that? I don't understand why I'm so reluctant to cut the ties. Our relationship deteriorated into a facade years ago. Why don't I take the steps to end it cleanly? I guess I've just never been a good housekeeper.

Then again, if I were the only one having Lake Wobegone Days that show wouldn't still be on the air.

Anyway. In the past week we got in the Minimus student's guide. Brighteyes loves it. She insisted on taking it on the trip. Mom didn't know what to think of it. I only hope Brighteyes will enjoy it as much after we start working with the program.

Chimneyville was a learning experience. The first thing we learned was that we couldn't navigate Jackson anymore, what with all the new building that has taken place. The second thing we learned is that Chimneyville is so much fun we should have gone years ago. We'll definitely have to work on the logistics of childcare-during-exhibitions, because we need to start doing exhibits again.

2 comments:

Cavalor Epthith said...

Read my post this morning. I think Mr Cobranchi will find how the media gins up the news on Terra alot more sinister than what we do here.

How is it the Communist Chinese can get it right and the New York Times decides this boy is a "senior"?
I am only for fair and accurate reporting and this is neither.

Cavalor Epthith
Editor-in-Chief
The Dis Brimstone-Daily Pitchfork
"Wrap your fish in Dis!"

Lioness said...

Thank you. I've learned the hard way that one should never underestimate the press' ability to get the facts wrong.