Monday, February 24, 2014

Late to the Party, Brought the Jello

Among the foods Mom never made was anything fancier than plain Jello, and that was very seldom.  It made me uncomfortable to realize I was missing out on something.  Years later, when I was grown and everyone thought fancy Jello was just so uncool I was too embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what they were talking about.

But darn it, just because I missed out is no reason for my children to miss out.  Especially since when I was moving our dry foods to the new house I came across a small mountain of Jello I had stored back "for emergencies".  Time to experiment.

With the bigger kitchen I'm able to store the ice cream sundae glasses inside the kitchen (instead of in a storage building) where they can be pulled out and used much more frequently.  It turns out fruits and berries go down kids much easier when they're encased in Jello, topped with whipped topping mix, and presented in a sundae glass.  I bought some old copper-tinted molds at flea markets and started playing around with them, although so far nothing's come out perfect.

And for the first day of Spring Break, I've the makings of Blue Skies Jello set back.  Things are looking a bit jiggly right now.

No comments: