Sunday, May 18, 2008

After weeks without reliable phone or internet, we finally got our line fixed. Turned out there was a loose wire on a pole outside our house. Then AT&T tried to charge us for all that, and tell us there was nothing we could do but pay up. A complaint to the State put paid to their little game.

1 comment:

Alasandra said...

We had the same problem with Bellsouth long ago (when we used them). Every time it rained we lost our phone. They kept insisting the problem was in our house. Turns out one of their box things was in a low lying area, wasn't sealed properly and got flooded with water every time it rained. Thus no phone until it dried out. To top it off once they tried to charge us for a long distance call when we didn't even have phone service.

After Katrina we switched to cell phones.